Purple Power Juice
I first started juicing last year after a very indulgent week when I felt like I needed a bit of a cleanse but then the unexpected happened, I got a bit hooked. I went for the highly recommended Jason Vale 3 Day Detox and its something I still do every now and again if I’m feeling a bit sluggish. I was expecting to be hungry and tired and, if I’m honest, a little grumpy but I found the opposite was true, I slept amazingly, was full of energy and generally felt great. Obviously, it’s not something you’d want to do all the time, for one, it’s not the most sociable thing to do as you can’t meet anyone for coffee, dinner or drinks but also you’d get bored and go mad after a while (I have been known to dream of cheese whilst doing one). Well this is my solution, juice for breakfast. By doing this it ensures that about 30% of my daily diet is raw, vegan and jam-packed full of goodness, which totally helps to alleviate any feelings of guilt I may have over the odd extra cocktail here and there. As an added bonus, it’s delicious and will keep you going right through until lunch. You can put in pretty much any veg you have knocking around in your fridge but after some tinkering, this is one of my favourite combinations. I hope you like it too! Beetroot and avocado may not sound like the most appealing additions to your juice but they are so good for you and actually taste great. Avocado is the only fruit you could live on solely as it’s so crammed full of goodness and beetroot detoxifies the liver, kidneys and blood as well as increasing blood flow – what’s not to love?
Purple Power Juice:
- 3 medium apples
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium raw beetroot
- 1/2 a small lemon
- a knob of ginger
- a handful of kale or spinach
- a small handful of blackberries (i just keep some in the freezer)
- 1/2 to whole avocado
- a handful of ice
Start with one apple in the tube of your juicer followed by the lemon, ginger, carrot and beetroot, finishing off with the remaining apples. Next up you want to grab yourself a blender of some description, add the ice, kale, blackberries and avocado before pouring in your juice. At this point I also like to add the following for an extra nutrition boost, obviously they’re all optional but they’re a great way of super-charging your morning juice.
- turmeric – a quarter to a third of a teaspoon of turmeric – antibacterial and anti-fungal
- a teaspoon of nut butter, I like almond or cashew, preferably organic with nothing added – adds protein
- acidophilus complex, the contents of one capsule (not the capsule itself) – helps regulate bacteria in your stomach
- 1 teaspoon of supergreens powder, a combination of spirulina, chlorella, barley grass and wheatgrass – incredibly nutrient dense and cleansing
- 1 teaspoon of raw chia seeds – richest plant source of omega 3
Pop these in the blender too and whizz it all up together
Now all that’s left to do is pour into a glass and enjoy
Let me know how you get on!